Project Alexandria
One Geek's attempt to inventory and document his media collection

The project started as a Google Sheet, because at time the my SO was doing this cool thing that happens when you own too many pieces of media, that you can’t realistically keep track of what you do or do not own, and when shopping at used book sales you can’t really go home and check real quick. As such she was buying duplicates. Lots of duplicates. And while there are many a site that let you keep track of your own collection, I wanted something that she could setup how she wanted, something we both could access and modify, and I don’t trust anyone else’s code/website to up and vanish without warning. Thus, I landed on a shared Google Sheet. It took forever to add everything initially, but we got there. Meanwhile over my own nerd kingdom, I was having a similar problem with my video game collection. Google Sheets worked fine with her ever expanding manga collection, but I very quickly found that it wasn’t working so great with my video games. With manga, it was a very simple question; “Do we own “Volume # of Title X?”. If we did already own and it and wanted to, then we would buy it. If we already owned a copy and didn’t want to own two copies for some reason, then obviously put it back on the shelf.

However, with my video games it was significantly more complicated. I obviously needed to know the title, but from there was the question of the platform it was owned on. Then was it a disc or a digital copy.  If it was digital was it “owned” (At least as much as one can own in the digital era) was it something I got via subscription from “Games With Gold” or “PlayStation Plus”? Was the game some type limited or collector’s edition or perhaps an edition with included DLC or some other unique feature about it?

This was obviously quite a bit of information, and while I have nothing against Google Sheets, I wanted/needed something bit more powerful. Or at least something that I could run locally and mess around with. As such, I broke the cardinal rule of Microsoft Excel (Excel is Not a Database) and made a database! Once I had a rough idea of everything, I thought I would want/need to know when shopping and how I wanted the information displayed, turning it into a website was the mountain to cross. Ultimately, I wanted function over form. I’m sure if I was so inclined and took the time, I could make it look all kinds of fancy and “Web 2.0ish”; but over all else I needed it to load quickly even if I was out in the middle of nowhere with 2G signal. Ergo, I went with KISS.

Keep.
It.
Simple.
Stupid.

Once I had my proof on concept (I’ll admit, calling something I’d spent dozens of hours into a “proof concept” is a questionable use of the term.) I knew that I wanted to keep track of more stuff. Books, movies, my various webcomic collections, and other various media and media adjacent objects.

As of writing that’s where we’re at. Still working on adding everything. There’s just a lot of media to go through, and despite the fact it really is a major inconvenience to productivity I always eventually need to sleep at some point.

Current Of Project Version Here